- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
Looking for Work?
Let the Library guide your search for employment with everything from resume help to databases to classes.
Not sure where to start? Try our Frequently Asked Questions.
Job Search Central at the Science, Industry and Business Library is a one-stop shop for all your job search needs.
Job and Career Workshops are offered at many NYPL locations
Read the Job Search Central Blog!
New York State has received $27.7 million in federal Disaster National Emergency Grant (NEG) funds.The grant will be used to hire workers to help clean up communities affected by Hurricane Sandy. Workers who lost their jobs as a direct result of Hurricane Sandy or workers who were unemployed prior to the storm are eligible to apply for temporary positions. For details see see http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/neg.shtm
Job Search Assistance:
- Bronx Library Center's Career and Educational Information Service – one-on-one counseling, resume assistance, and career planning.
- NY1 features tips from resume expert at the BLC CEIS: watch now!
- Listen to a NYPL Library program on Effective Employment Strategies for Those 50+
- Watch Barry Cohen's program: Powerful First Impressions: Find and Get the Job Your Really Want
Career Coaching available at Job Search Central at SIBL, Monday-Saturday.
- Sign up for a career coaching session. (All fields must be filled in to schedule a session. If you do not have an e-mail address, just type firstname.lastname@example.org in box for email. Without an email address, you will not receive a confirmation/reminder of your appointment.
Sign up from anywhere, ask for help at the SIBL at the Altman Information Desk, lower level.
Questions about career coaching at Job Search Central, call 212-592-7044 (leave your name, phone number, & e-mail).
Drop-In Job Club for college graduates in their twenties.
Place: SIBL, Lower Level, Training room 4 (ETC 4). Date: Every other Thursday. Time: 6:00-7:30. Check events calendar for dates.
Note: Space is limited, first come, first seated.
Participants learn how to market themselves, how to conduct a strategic job search, meet other twenty-something job-seekers in a supportive environment. The Drop-In Job Club is led by Robin Neiman, Senior Vocational Counselor, and Sherry Natkow, Career Coach. Handouts and resources will be provided.
Career Exploration and Job Searching Online:
- Job Search and Career Databases – subscription content for free searching with your Library card!
- eBooks, Audiobooks, and Videos – downloadable resources for job seekers and entrepreneurs. Free with your Library card!
- Employment Websites – NYPL’s recommendations for the best free websites for finding a job and advancing your career
- CareerlinkNYC – resources for recently unemployed New Yorkers
- Mayor Bloomberg and NYC Media launch JOB HUNT, a television series to help New Yorkers navigate the job market. Learn how to get the skills you need and find the right job for you, now that all 10 episodes are online!
Small Business Assistance
- Small Business Resource Center – the Library’s premier website for starting and owning a business in New York City
- SCORE – individual counseling to small businesses, provided by retired executives
- Job Search Tips (printable PDF file)
- Financial Industry Professionals – job and career information during the current economic downturn
- The Bronx on the Web – job search resources and training
- Connections – job search resources for formerly incarcerated individuals
- Free Wireless Access (WiFi-Enabled Libraries)
- The GED Compass provides information on preparing for and taking the GED
Job Search Central in the News
- WABC features Job Search Central opening
- NY1 features career event at SIBL
- WNBC New York features the Job Information Center
- NY1 features career event at SIBL